Sunday, March 6, 2011

NewsFlash: The Disgusting RapeLay

Hello Everyone!

HerVoiceIs just added a new section that is called "NewsFlash." I have been running across so many horrifying articles both by being emailed by friends and colleagues and also just by researching in this fight against hate against women that I had to have a space on the blog to share them. Sometimes they are very hard to read, however, I have found that as I am reading these articles I become more aware of the problems surrounding me and I become more passionate. I hope as we pass along these articles you read them and feel the same anger we do. I hope from this anger you become passionate and driven to put a stop to the madness and hate. You have the power to make a difference. We need to educate ourselves about the problems surrounding us. Closing our eyes will not help. Opening our eyes and really seeing is the first step in stopping the injustice that plagues our world.

-------------------------------------------------------------

RapeLay:

This first article that we wanted to share is about a horrifying Video Game called RapeLay. Below is the first half of the article from CNN World News. I have included a link so that you may read it for yourself from a reliable source.




The game begins with a teenage girl on a subway platform. She notices you are looking at her and asks,
"Can I help you with something?"
That is when you, the player, can choose your method of assault.
With the click of your mouse, you can grope her and lift her skirt. Then you can follow her aboard the train, assaulting her sister and her mother.
As you continue to play, "friends" join in and in a series of graphic, interactive scenes, you can corner the women, rape them again and again.

The game allows you to even impregnate a girl and urge her to have an abortion. The reason behind your assault, explains the game, is that the teenage girl has accused you of molesting her on the train. The motive is revenge.
It is little wonder that the game, titled RapeLay, sparked international outrage from women's groups. Taina Bien-Aime helped yank the game off store shelves worldwide.
"This was a game that had absolutely no place on the market," said Taina Bien-Aime of women's rights organization Equality Now which has campaigned for the game to be taken off the shelves.
But the controversy that led to stopping sales of the game instead took it viral.


As you can see this is one of the reasons why society has embraced rape rather than hate it. It has become a glorified subject and made into a game. I struggled with writing this piece because it was so disgusting and shocking. However, my co-writer told me this is why we are here. We MUST share the truth and the truth is THIS is the kind of garbage that is out there. THIS is the monster that must be stopped. It is time we fight against this mentality. THIS made me angry. Just as I hope it made you angry. Rape is real. It isn't something to be taken lightly. It is something to FIGHT AGAINST not embrace.

Thank you for taking the time to read. Thank you for becoming aware of the problems at hand. You are a Warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment