Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Invincible

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -albert camus


Invincible. Not lacking confidence. Feeling like you not only COULD change the world but rather you CAN change the world and NOBODY can stop you. When was the last time you felt invincible? I dream of women feeling like they are more than just their body, their sexuality, and their status. I dream that women can break free from the walls that society has built and embrace the strength and power that is deep within them. We live in a time of sex trafficking, rape and horrific injustice to women as a whole. By seeing that YOU are in fact INVINCIBLE, you have the POWER to invoke change and bring answers to a hurting world.

I am beautiful.
I am wonderful.
I am loved.
I am stunning.

Those were very powerful words you just spoke about yourself, so why do you feel weird saying them? We live in a society that makes it almost impossible to survive in as women. Phrases like the ones you just read are becoming more difficult to say as the days pass by. We believe in so many different things. It is amazing to watch women place so much faith in things that are really so temporary and not see that with confidence they are invincible.

My dream is to see women love themselves again. To be able to say the phrases in the beginning of this post with no doubt, insecurity or discomfort. How many times do we say or hear phrases like:

I’m so fat.
I wish I could look like her.
If only he would notice me.
I hate the way I look.


I believe that we are so used to hearing these things because women have forgot what beauty is. Really it is not their fault. We have been lied too when it comes to defining beauty and worth. Television shows, movies, books, and magazines have defined it for us. The phrase “She looks too thin” has become foreign to us and has been replaced with the much to common phrase “She isn’t thin enough.” We have been told beauty is tan, medium height and sexually alluring. A teacher in college once told my class that society has given a charge to women that they must bee both sexy and virginal. I hope you laughed as you read that because I still find the concept idiotic. A complete oxy-moron, but something that society craves. I hate to break it to everyone but the “sexy virgin” is a myth. It is impossible to attain. However, with definitions and molds such as these it is no wonder this generation of young women are literally fighting for their lives. Where status and popularity dictate who they become, rather morals and strength in knowing that their imperfections really are stunning.

It is my dream that the words

I am beautiful.
I am wonderful.
I am loved.
I am stunning.


will no longer be strange and hard to say, but rather they will be a bold declaration of the amazing woman you are called to be and realize that you were not born to blend in but rather you were born to stand out. By raising your voice you are giving opportunity for other women to raise theirs. There is no need to be afraid. You are invincible. No one can stop you from being an answer to a problem. The only person that can stop you, is you.


Stand tall. Be empowered by your beauty, grace and inner strength. YOU WERE MADE FOR THIS.

-Bethany Morton-Gannaway

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic write up... and very true indeed... am so sorry to admit, but its sooo difficult to even get people talking about these issues... its like every onnes behaving like an Ostrich... bellieving if they close their eyes... itsall gonna be gone as far as they are concerned.. anyways am trying my best to talk about these in my Group and Page on Facebook... will do my bit in being and feeling empowered ... :) def. worth it

    ReplyDelete